Saturday, October 3, 2009

Artsy People


As some of you may know, I went to University for Fine Arts. I loved the experience. I had some great professors, some great classes and I learned a lot.

The one thing I had trouble reconciling were the 'students'; many took themselves way too seriously and even more felt they had to wear the 'artsy' uniform.
Why is it that people feel the need to stereotype themselves - to wear who they are and what they do on their sleaves? At any rate, there were some really decent people there and I was sure they would grow out of it.

Fast forward ten years...

So I am looking at Facebook the other day and I see that one of my 'friends' from University has put up some new pictures. Generally, I don't bother to look at people's pictures. I mean, why bother? It is a certainty that I will not to know any of the other people in them and frankly most pictures people put up are either dreadfully banal or of themselves 'posing' and trying to look their best. Nevertheless, it is five hours before my next class (that's another story) and I am bored so I take a gander.

In front of me I see that for some people, personal evolution happens slower. Let me set the scene:
It appears to be a party of some sort - maybe an 'art opening' in someone's studio. This is evident because the space seems to be the standard 'studio' atmosphere: dirty white walls, some haphazard sketches on them, some 'art' roughly taped to the wall, empty jars and bottles all over the place, exposed ductwork and concrete floors.
Oh yeah, and a bunch of ridiculous looking people hanging about.

This brings me right back to university and yet I double check the calendar and yes, it is in fact 10 years later. They are the same effete, ridiculous people I went to school with. Here is what I see:

First, we have the hipster cool guy - he is wearing a flat cap (A flat cap is a rounded mens cap with a small stiff brim in front usually made from tweed), has huge thick sideburns, a suit jacket and jeans.
Then there is the skinny, effeminate guy complete with tight white t-shirt, camouflage army hat and a purple scarf. Yes, I said it, he is wearing a scarf.
The asian - 'new cool': long greasy hair, thick horned rim glasses, bright orange hooded sweat shirt (hood up of course, it must be cold in here) and thick-cloth (maybe twead again) suit jacket and pants.
There is the girl in that patterned dress that nobody would wear, but keep your mouth shut, she is an individual.
There is the wacky 'relaxed' guy complete with messy beard, horn rimmed glasses, faded t-shirt and jeans and crazy I-own-no-comb-or-hair-products haircut. He is always the funny one in the picture. This guy is either yelling something at the photographer, crawling on the floor with his shirt exposing his hairy belly or pointing at the viewer with a silly expression on his face. How avante-garde is this one.
Of course, no art party would be complete without the over 50s, still trying to be cool, people. They, like their young friends, are likewise dressed in some 'over-the-top' fashion. To be artsy fartsy you gotta dress to fit in man. Clearly these people have never had real jobs or maybe they really did make it as artists. If the latter, kudos to them!
Sprinkle in a dash of hangers-on and you have the artsy fartsy, damn-we're-cool party.

The first thing that goes through my head is, "Roll a grenade into this crowd... what a great start!"

Damn, why did I look at those pictures?

No comments:

Post a Comment